Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Couch to 5K: week 2

Week two
Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 90 seconds of running with 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Beach Runner

Week 2 of Couch to 5K isn't that much of a stretch. Yes, my legs want to stop at 1 minute. And yes, it's hard to get that extra 30 seconds out of my puffing body. But that first exhilaration hasn't worn off - not yet.

I discover the joy of running at the beach. We're on holidays, and nothing beats this: a straight stretch of sand, long waves to my right, running past holiday makers and dogs and fishermen.

One day, I go jogging with my daughter. That doesn't work out so well. She's faster than me, but she doesn't see the fun in this. We get back and I ask, "Do you want to do that again?", and she answers, "Not really."

My (sporty) sister-in-law looks at my outfit and says, "You're jogging in jeans?" Well, yes, I am. I didn't want to invest in running clothes until I found out if this program would stick. And better 3/4 jeans than nothing.

I think she's kind of impressed that her non-jogging sister-in-law is willing to give this a go, though. She's sidelined with a sore hip, so we've swapped roles this year: the sporty and the not-so-sporty.

I notice with amusement that, when I run past someone, I speed up to impress them. Then I can barely make it to the end of my 90 seconds. The penalty of vanity.

I reach the end of the beach - can't believe I've made it! Normally I wouldn't even attempt to walk this far! - and pause to watch the waves curling and the seagulls curving overhead. Then I turn and jog-walk-jog-walk back to our holiday house.

And I realise...
  • running at the beach is completely, utterly glorious. Wish I could do it all the time.
  • it would help if I had proper jogging clothes, but ordinary clothes will do for now - although I'll learn soon enough that running in your old cross-trainers is perhaps not the best idea.
  • my app tells me, "Don't go too fast. It's about distance and intervals, not speed." Clearly it knows the way I'm tempted.

It's the end of the second week, and I'm still enjoying this.

How did you find week 2 of Couch to 5K?

4 comments:

RodeoClown said...

I'm doing this with my wife and 8 year old son. She's just finished week one, and we just finished week 2.

I'm happy I'm still faster than my son :)

We run at the local oval, and I've found that when I run wearing shoes my feet hurt, but if I go barefoot, it doesn't hurt at all.

My calves are finally starting to not ache after a fortnight since starting though :)

M said...

Please do invest in a pair of runners. They don't need to be fancy pants expensive, but a dedicated shoe for running can help prevent injury. Paul's warehouse or equivalent often have older models that as long as you are not fussy about colour will do the job well. Keep the shoes only for your runs - don't wear them to the shops or to do other sport in.

Heather T said...

I am still in week one but I smiled at your comment "I didn't want to invest in running clothes until I found out if this program would stick."That is exactly where I am, I have told myself and my daughter who is doing it with me that I will buy one thing, whatever is the most needed item of running clothing, at the end of week 3 if I have kept it up!

Jean said...

Thanks, M I bought a pair of runners after week 5. Should have done it earlier, I agree - would have helped prevent knee soreness. And yes, have dedicated them to jogging.