Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Couch to 5K - week 1

Week one
Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Running
I'm no jogger (dodgy knees, not athletic enough, walking is for me). Yet here I am, jogging, feet thudding through the parkland near our house.

Not sure what brought this on! A hand-me-down iPhone from my mum? An article about apps like Couch to 5K? The slow-burning realisation that, when I break briefly into a run during my walks, I actually enjoy it?

Mostly, it's because I made just one resolution for 2013: to get more exercise. I spent 2012 in front of the computer - at least that's how it felt - and I'm fed up with that well-padded, lethargic, energy-less me. So here I am, jogging.

I'm surprised to find that it's fun. It's hard, yes. A whole minute! And then another one! And then another! It doesn't sound like much, but my legs and lungs aren't used to this, and they're soon complaining.

But I get home, and I'm hot and puffed, and I sit next to my husband - so far the trajectory of this has been 1K to couch, not couch to 5K - and I'm smiling from ear to ear. All those promised endorphins have kicked in and I'm exhilarated and energised.

I learn a few things this first week:
  • don't jog in 40 degree heat. Yup, I tried it. And came as close to heat stroke as I never want to be again.
  • it's not a good idea to run on a full stomach. Eat breakfast, then wait an hour, then jog. Or jog first. Otherwise you'll be sluggish and slow.
  • boppy music makes a great jogging companion. It puts a spring in your step. Later on, I'll find I can listen to slower music; but right now, I need the bop.
  • the occasional stitch in the side is to be expected. They go away soon. Or at least they did for me.
That's the end of the first week. And so far I'm loving it.


How did you find week 1 of Couch to 5K? Tell us here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I did the Couch to 5K a couple of years ago, it was the first time I had ever run and got up to doing 10K over a fairly long time. Now I really enjoy running, who would have thought! Keep at it! and thanks for the encouragement of your blog, I love reading it.

Karen said...

I am planning to download the app for our new iPod but have been trying to break into jogs during my morning walks. And you're right, it does become fun quite quickly!

I walk/jog first thing in the morning before I have anything to eat. It does feel much lighter that way :)