Monday, December 13, 2010

what I'm reading: psalm for the busy

When I'm too busy, I become an insomniac. I lie awake at 3 o'clock in the morning, fretting and planning and finishing tasks in my head.

Here's (the first half of) a psalm which reminds me that all my frantic worry and busy labour can't achieve a thing without God. He is the one who "builds the house", not me.

Knowing that, I can sleep peacefully. I can rest.

Unless the LORD builds the house,
the builders labour in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the guards stand watch in vain.
In vain you rise early
and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.
(Psalm 127:1-3)

2 comments:

Karen Young said...

Jean, that was me 2 nights ago! I hardly slept because I was counting 'jobs to do' instead of sheep! Crazy hey, but when I read this blog entry the next morning, I felt it was God saying to me, "I will give you the strength to do the jobs I want you to do." So that's helped me to refocus and rest in the Lord. My friends and I have been very encouraged since we found your blog a few months ago and we will miss you when you take a break from blogging. We are all in a similar season of life as you are and relate to your struggles and desires so much. I think that your blog fills a gap for some of us mums with younger children as the kind of Biblical teaching and encouragement God has helped you share is not often heard at the church teaching sessions we are able to get to. And sometimes your blogs are so timely (like this one)- they must be God-sent! You may not feel inclined to, but if you are able to repost some of your blogs from the archives while you are taking a break, I'm pretty sure God will continue to use your ministry to stir and encourage us women here in bloggerland. love Karen

Jean said...

Thanks, Karen, for some timely words of encouragement - which I'm sure God meant from you to me too! :)

I won't be able to post from the archives during my break (it's surprisingly demanding even doing that) but please do hunt around in the archives - you and your friends!

The blog is pretty well indexed and you are welcome to type in as many search words and hunt around as much as you like. :)

Love and thanks,

Jean.