Monday, October 12, 2009

psalm for the downcast (1)

A couple of psalms came to mean a lot to me when I was feeling discouraged last term. I'd like to share one with you this week, and one with you next week. Interestingly, they're from opposite ends of the psalm spectrum: lament and praise.

Today's psalm is a little gem I've always liked but only memorised recently. I think of it as the "vitamin pill" of the psalms, because it's got everything you need in miniature to feed your faith during times of discouragement:

  • cry out to God
  • pray for God's help
  • remember God's character and salvation
  • wait for God to restore your joy
  • trust in God's certain word
  • tell yourself to hope in God
  • encourage others to hope in God

Here it is.

Psalm 130

A song of ascents.

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
O Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins,
O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness;
therefore you are feared.

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.

O Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
for with the LORD is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption.
He himself will redeem Israel
from all their sins.


image is from Frederic Poirot at flickr

6 comments:

Rachach said...

Jean,
Have you heard the song version of this? It has helped me to memorise it and is nice to sing.
Rachel

Jean said...

Yes, I know a couple, including the one off Sovereign Grace's album "Psalms", but my favourite version is by Andy May at my old church. Which version do you know?

Jean said...

Oops ... Rachach ... just realised which Rachel you are ... of course you know Andy's version! You don't know where I can get a copy of it, do you?

mattnbec said...

This is one of my favourites too. Largely, in fact, because it's one that I find encourages me when I feel discouraged or depressed. God is good - what a timely reminder!

Leigh said...

A year ago I bought a ticket to see Sons of Korah. Never heard their music, although I heard of them by word of mouth I was unsure what I was going to get. Psalm 130 I absolutely love. As a male driving in my car I pull to a stop at the traffic lights and psalm 130 was on repeat for a time to let it reform my mind. The looks I got from fellow males in their hotted up cars while 'more than the watchman waits' reverberates in my 'sub woofers'is a great way to evangelise

Jean said...

:D