Friday, August 7, 2009

in memory of mother's day

Don't you love mothers' day gifts? Those funny little objects that your children choose, all by themselves, at the mothers' day stall at school, handing over the precious $2.00 coins that you gave them that morning as they select something Mum will really love.

And we do love them. The cutesy little pink plaster lamb on a keyring. The over-sized mug with "I love Mum" on the side. The oven mitts and tea-towels.

My mother still had a miniature cut-glass brown vase of dusty dried flowers in her kitchen cupboard when I left home at 18. It was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. But I chose it for her when I was 6 years old, and she kept it, tucked away with the other vases.

Out of all the mother's day gifts I've received, the most unique was this one, given to me by Thomas. Somehow it epitomised his personality, with its endearing combination of contrariness and enthusiastic affection. Here it is.



A broken garden gnome. Love it!

No comments: