Friday, April 10, 2009

The Look - a meditation for Easter Friday

One of the things which is helping me to look more at the cross of Christ is the album Songs for the Cross Centered Life by Sovereign Grace Music - I'm listening to it right now!

These 14 songs about the cross fill my heart with awe at God's amazing, everlasting grace, given freely to us in the death of his only Son.

Here's the words of "The Look", a song which takes me to the foot of the cross, where I see my sin and God's grace displayed in Christ. What better song to meditate on this Easter Friday?



I saw one hanging on a tree
In agony and blood
Who fixed His loving eyes on me
As near His cross I stood -
And never till my dying breath
Will I forget that look -
It seemed to charge me with His death
Though not a word He spoke.

My conscience felt and owned the guilt
And plunged me in despair,
I saw my sins His blood had spilt
And helped to nail Him there -
But with a second look He said,
“I freely all forgive
This blood is for your ransom paid
I died that you might live”.

Forever etched upon my mind
Is the look of Him who died,
The Lamb I crucified;
And now my life will sing the praise
Of pure atoning grace
That looked on me and gladly took my place.

Thus while His death my sin displays
For all the world to view,
Such is the mystery of grace
It seals my pardon too;
With pleasing grief and mournful joy
My spirit now is filled,
That I should such a life destroy,
Yet live by Him I killed.

You can listen to a little of it here.

© 2001 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).

image is from stock.xchng

No comments: