Wednesday, February 4, 2009

children's books quiz: book meme

Here's a quiz for all you fellow book lovers, especially if you love children's books. I thought it was time for Nicole's book meme, given the recent bookish nature of this blog. I've made it easier by taking all the clues from this list of my favourite children's books.

Here's the rules:
- Take 10 books, and transcribe the 5th sentence from page 56.
- Make sure that at least 5 books are fiction, provide 5 hints, and pass the meme on to 6 other bloggers.

Here are the sentences. See if you can guess which books they come from. If you've read the books in question, it should be very easy!

1. From the very beginning Madame took an interest in Posy.

2. The goblins began to sing, or croak, keeping time with the flap of their flat feet on the stone, and shaking their prisoners as well.

3. "She catches flies and sucks their blood."

4. He heard Fillyjonk's shrill little voice in the garden; she had found the Hemulen.

5. For days Pa hauled logs.

6. Copses, dells, quarries and all hidden places, which had been mysterious mines for exploration in leafy summer, now exposed themselves and their secrets pathetically, and seemed to ask him to overlook their shabby poverty for a while, till they could riot in rich masquerade as before, and trick and entice him with the old deceoptions.

7. She said it stiffly because she was not used to thanking people or noticing that they did things for her.

8. Peter whistled.

9. The big dyeing job was done twice a year at the hairdresser's, but every month or so in between, Mrs Wormwood used to freshen it up by giving it a rinse in the washbasin with something called PLATINUM BLONDE HAIR-DYE EXTRA STRONG.

10. "That means that we can't possibly tell you because you're a native ... a nice native, of course."

I've already given you the only hint you'll need: all the books are children's books from this list. I've cheated a bit: when the 5th sentence was impossibly difficult or completely obvious, I'll admit to choosing sentence no. 4 or no. 7. If you need help - which I doubt! - I'll give you another clue.

Put your guesses in the comments, and happy guessing!

I'm not going to tag anyone, but if any other bloggers want to have a go - Honoria or Sandra, or Belinda, or anyone else I've fogotten - tell me and I'll see if I can solve yours!

12 comments:

BG said...

5 is little house in the Big wood and 9 is Matilda!

Jean said...

Hi B! You're right on no. 9, well done! And no. 5 is only 1 book off in the series.

Hannah Blake said...

Ooh, fun! Although I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't recognise more of them! But here goes-

No. 1 is Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild.
No. 5 is one of the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder - I'll guess Plum Creek, since that's when they build the house.
Is no. 8 one of the Narnia books?
No. 9 is Matilda by Roald Dahl.

(Hi Jean, I don't know if I've ever commented on your blog before but I really enjoy reading it! I love your childrens reading list and am really glad to find someone else who loves Elizabeth Enright! Actually, I love many of the books you've listed. Have you read Seven Little Australians? It's one of my favourite books ever.)

Hannah Blake said...

Oh, I just realised! No. 10 is Swallows and Amazons!

Jean said...

Hi, Hannah, welcome to the blog!

No. 1: correct.
No. 5: right series, wrong book!! Think TV show.
No. 8: yes. Now can you work out which one? Clue: it's the most well-known book in the series.
No. 9: spot on.
No. 10: correct again!

I have read "Seven little Australians", the reason it didn't make it to my list was that I was disturbed by the ending as a child. Wonderful book, just not one of my all time favourites - and as I explained, mine was a purely personal list. Very self-indulgent! But perhaps you could add the book to the comments on that post so other people know about it - along with any other favourites of yours!

Hannah Blake said...

I just saw your very first reply - of course No. 5 is Little House on the Prairie! I'd forgotten that's when they build the cabin. And logs are used in cabins, not houses!!

Anonymous said...

I write Squidoo Lenses (mini scroll down web pages) and have recently made one about Kate Salley Palmer who writes and illustrates childrens books. I have the Google Blog Search inserted in the bottom of it and your blog showed up there today so of course, I had to check it out. I am so glad I did and have enjoyed your quiz and the read. Thank you.

Jean said...

Yep, that's right!

Lara said...

7 is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

I got 9 as well, but not early enough!

Jean said...

Well done Lara!

Hannah Blake said...

Ok, so I think I've got all but one! They must have been buzzing around my head for the last couple of days because I think I'm slowly getting there! But I don't think I know No. 4.

No. 8 would be The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
No. 3 took me a while, but I'd guess Charlotte's Web.
Is No. 6 The Wind in the Willows? It's familiar but I can't quite place it.
No. 2 is The Hobbit!

Jean said...

All right, Hannah!