Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tiger

It's not trochaic like "Tiger, tiger, burning bright", but it is about a Tiger. So in affectionate homage to Nicole's Poetry Mondays, and Ali's poetry experiment, here's an alphabetical poem my 9-year old daughter Elizabeth brought home last week, which shows that she has far more promise as a poet than her mother ever will:

The Tiger
A Tiger watched me through the trees
Butterfles flew away and I froze
Can anyone help me? I shouted shakily
Digging ants crawled around my feet
Everything seemed to fall silent as the Tiger watched me
Fun? This was not fun I thought
Growls echoed through the jungle
Hungrily the Tigers tummy rumbled
I started to run but the tiger just came closer and closer
Jumpily the Tiger got ready to pounce
King Cobra came past me and I screamed
Luckily I woke up and it was only a dream.

image is from stock.xchng

4 comments:

Lara said...

That's cool, but did she lose marks for the "Luckily I woke up and it was only a dream"? I remember English teachers at school telling us we weren't allowed to use that line!

She must have a great imagination, though - love the imagery in the poem!

Jean said...

Yes, my mum was an English teacher, and she always complained about that line too!! But I think you can get away with it when you're 9 - not when you're older. Unless you're John Bunyan, of course!

Ali said...

I read this yesterday when I couldn't get in to comment. I think it's fabulous! I feel positively outdone. Lizzie has definitely got something ...

And I have been loving your fighting for joy series too. I've printed several of them out to ponder.

Jean said...

Don't worry, Ali, you won't be feeling outdone after today's post ... And can I say, I admire your poetic efforts? I am far too literal-minded to enjoy or write poetry. I've written only 3 poems as an adult, none of them spectacular!