Thursday, July 24, 2008

trees

What is your heart given to? The beach? The mountains? The city?

For me it will always be trees: marching rows of golden poplars, bare black branches of ancient elms across the wintry sky, drops of water suspended from the bending twigs of humble garden trees, the yellow mourning veil shrouding the boughs of weeping willows, the blue-green and silvery-grey of the slender gums.

The fairy wonderland of leaves drifting from trees planted in green grass. The sting of cold air on my face, the glop and gurgle of the river, and the rustle of damp leaves beneath my feet.

It was when I was happiest that I longed most…The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing…to find the place where all the beauty came from. (C.S.Lewis When we have faces)

2 comments:

mattnbec said...

That photo reminds me of part of the beautiful University of Nottingham main campus (where my husband is doing his PhD). An autumn walk by the lake there is so picturesque - an orange and brown blanket over the ground; bare trees lined either side of the pathway; squirrels dart about; ducks glide past on the lake...just breathtakingly lovely.

Kind of what I imagined "Lover's Lane" would have looked like in Anne of Green Gables as a child!

Jean said...

Sounds wonderful! Enjoy it, won't you?