Saturday, February 9, 2008

be careful what you weed

I was weeding a patch of garden yesterday. I pulled out a big clump of grass (I haven't weeded in a while) and realised I was also holding the central part of one of my favourite bushes.

Be careful what you pull out: it might not be a weed.

How easy it is for us to squash the small beginnings of a great idea, a stumbling towards understanding, the first tentative steps of repentance!

Instead, let's free our team to pursue a crazy idea (even if it's not exactly the way we would have done it); praise a Bible study member's flawed efforts at understanding (while gently guiding them to discover God's truth); and encourage every small step taken by someone who's struggling (while we patiently wait for God's growth).

A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. Isaiah 42:3

No comments: