Friday, December 7, 2007

health update

Well, I had the ultrasound and everything looks ok in the health department, which is a great relief, although slightly embarassing since it makes me look completely ridiculous after my worries about death and cancer two weeks ago. And of course, it still leaves me wondering exactly what's wrong, so I'll have to learn to trust God with my uncertainties.

But you know what? I don't mind looking foolish if in some small way it's encouraging for you to hear about my worries and fears, and how God has dealt with them. Perhaps some day you'll be in a similar situation, or perhaps you were encouraged to hear how God's grace meets all our needs. Or perhaps you thought I was a bit of an idiot, and that's ok, I agree with you entirely.

Paul once said that, in contrast to the "super-apostles" with their human wisdom, he was glad to look weak and foolish in order to preach the gospel of Christ (1 Cor. 1-4; 2 Cor. 11-12) Unlike Paul, I'm aware that it's not the gospel which is making me look foolish, I'm quite capable of that on my own. But I am happy to look like a bit of a fool if it is for your encouragement in Christ.

In fact, I've found blogging to be an excellent exercise in vulnerability and occasional embarrassment. And in the end, what matters is what people think of God, not what they think of me. So be patient with me as his wisdom is made apparent in my foolishness, and his strength is made apparent in my weakness. He deals so wisely and tenderly with us all!

No comments: