Wednesday, November 14, 2007

pushing 40...

Here's a 39 year old diary entry my Aunty Dot sent to me today:
"Last night at 20 to 10 Ruth had Jean Dorothy. Ruth was in the labour ward 1 day(?) - having contractions main labour 9.10. 8lb 8 oz dark hair, loooks like Dad, round face. Colin came in last night. Robert is very excited. At school I told everyone, even Mrs Stanton."

Today I turned 39. It's amazing how insignificant birthdays feel these days! To remember exactly what age I am, I have to think of Lizzy's age and add 30. She asked me this morning, "How could you possible forget how old you are, Mummy?" I told her it gets very easy once you're in your 30's.

But my birthday is very significant to my kids, who are out with Steve choosing a cake from Safeway (without cream from a can, I hope), some small gifts (chocolate, please? or perhaps another mug or candle to add to my Mother's Day gift collection), and some lollipops for a treasure hunt (games being essential to a party, according to Thomas). And Steve and I will have a "date night" - that rare and precious thing - this Friday evening.

Birthdays are a reminder that this life, which flies past more quickly year by year, doesn't last forever, but that there is a better life to come. God's faithfulness to me during the last 39 years has made me certain of this: that he will continue to hold me safe in his hand, whatever may happen in the future. I look forward to discovering more and more of the breadth, height and depth of his love as I grow older, and to enjoying that love in all its fullness in eternity.

1 comment:

Honoria said...

Feliz Cumpleaños, Jean!!

I'm thankful to God for your life and your blog!

This is a Mexican birthday song (hence the Catholic overtones), so please imagine a lively mariachi band serenading you.

Honoria

~~

Las Mañanitas Lyrics:
Estas son las mañanitas, que cantaba el Rey David,
Hoy por ser día de tu santo, te las cantamos a ti,
Despierta, mi bien, despierta, mira que ya amaneció,
Ya los pajarillos cantan, la luna ya se metió.
Que linda está la mañana en que vengo a saludarte,
Venimos todos con gusto y placer a felicitarte,
Ya viene amaneciendo, ya la luz del día nos dio,
Levántate de mañana, mira que ya amaneció.

Translation:

This is the morning song that King David sang
Because today is your saint's day we're singing it for you
Wake up, my dear, wake up, look it is already dawn
The birds are already singing and the moon has set
How lovely is the morning in which I come to greet you
We all came with joy and pleasure to congratulate you
The morning is coming now, the sun is giving us its light
Get up in the morning, look it is already dawn.