Wednesday, November 21, 2007

circular conversations about linear time

questions about time (1)
Thomas (4) - "Mummy, when can I go on the computer?"
Jean (38) - "After school, honey."
Thomas - "When are we going to school, Mummy?"
Jean - "At 1/4 past 3."
Thomas - "When's that, Mummy?"
Jean - "When the big hand and small hand are both on the 3."
Thomas - "When's that, Mummy?"
Jean - "At 1/4 past 3."
Thomas - "Mummy, when can I go on the computer?"
...repeat ad infinitum throughout the day, every day...

questions about time (2)
Thomas - "Mummy, when will I be seeing Grandma?"
Jean - "On Friday, darling."
Thomas - "Mummy, how many sleeps is that?"
Jean - "Only 2 more sleeps, darling."
Thomas - "But Mummy, I WANT to see Grandma!"
Jean - "I know, honey, you'll be seeing her soon."
Thomas - Mummy, when will I be seeing Grandma?"
...repeat frequently, especially if we've just seen Grandma...

questions about time (3)
Thomas - "Mummy, when is my next birthday?"
Jean - "In July, in 8 months, darling."
Thomas - "That's a long time."
Jean - "Yes, honey, your last birthday wasn't very long ago."
Thomas - "Mummy, is my birthday after Andrew's birthday?"
Jean - "Yes, Andrew's birthday is in June."
Thomas - "Mummy, is that after our Melbourne adventure?" (our annual home holiday)
Jean - "Yes, our Melbourne adventure is in January."
Thomas - "Mummy, is that after Apollo Bay?" (my family's annual beach holiday)
Jean - "Yes, we go to Apollo Bay in January."
Thomas - "Mummy, is that after Christmas?"
Jean - "Yes, Christmas is in December."
Thomas - "Mummy, when is my next birthday?"
...repeat as often as possible...

Thomas - "Mummy, when is it Summer?"

Thomas - "Mummy, what time do I eat?...go to bed?...wake up?"

Thomas - "Mummy, how long until Lizzy and Ben get home?"

Thomas - "Mummy, when will I turn 5?"

Thomas - "Mummy, was that to the tonight before this night?"

Thomas - "Mummy, when can I go on the computer?"

Thomas - "Mummy, WHEN can I go on the computer?"

Thomas - "MUMMY, WHEN CAN I GO ON THE COMPUTER?"

At which point we mercifully draw a veil over these happy family moments, and a mother frantically tearing out her hair, hoping that she never has to answer another question about time. Never, never, NEVER again.

(And yes, I do mean never again, as in an infinite space of time beginning from this current point in time, which, for your information, is a time when the big hand is on the 12 - so it's something o'clock - and the small hand is on the 1 - so it's 1 o'clock. Never. Again.)

No comments: